Mercedes A170 not starting

Discussion in 'A-Class' started by Heathcliffe Petersen, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Hi...I recently changed my starter on my Mercedes A170...put a factory one on....everything was fine example for about 2 days...then the one morning g..I unlocked the car as usual...inserted the key...dashboard lights ..everything works as usual...turned the key...and ...NOTHING...tried it a few times...still nothing..there was this slight whistling noise I could hear..very faint...but no start...I left it for a few days...and it started once off....did it a few times in a time frame of minutes and it started one time....left it for an hour or so...and then...notging...refuses to start again...I am at a lost for words...does anybody know what the problem could be..

2. engineer

engineer Member

I would change the starter relay to eliminate that possibility.

Next you need to diagnose the starter again. It is unlikely that the starter itself is the problem but still possible.

Check the contacts at the starter. One of the times that it won't start check if you are getting power at the starter and starter solenoid.

3. As a matter of interest..where about is the relay for the starter...

4. engineer

engineer Member

Check the fuse box in the engine bay.

5. I will do that when I get home from work...would the main fuses not be by the fuse box under driver floorboard next to battery

6. Also..after a few days I tried it and it started like it never happened...I switched off and started again..and it fired up...but after 2 hours or so...I tried it again...and no nothing...if it were the fuse...would it have started and then not start after a few hours???

7. Kajtek1

Kajtek1 Awesome Member

Typical procedure would be testing the battery and cleaning the battery connection.
    Mercedes for years make starters controlled by computer. Meaning when computer sense low voltage, it will not activate the starter.
    With marginal battery that can play the tricks with the weather.

8. I just took a chance and tried starting the car...and it fired up first time..left it to idle...switched it off for an hour...then wouldn't start again

9. engineer

engineer Member

10. Kajtek1

Kajtek1 Awesome Member

I am still confused what the problem is?
    Is it not starting, or not cranking?

11. It does not start...no firing up...just silence....everything else works...dashboard lights...Radio.....a friend of mine suggested that I should get a guy to come with the OBD2 Diagnostic stuff n plug it in and see if there is anything that can direct me to the problem...what is ur take on that???

12. Kajtek1

Kajtek1 Awesome Member

It won't fire if you don't crank it ;)
    I will repeat start with checking the car voltage.
    OBD will not tell you the voltage is low, but might fire up bunch of codes due to low voltage.

13. There is a new Big battery in it...had it changed 2 months ago when the problem arised...and it's an Original Mercedes Battery....but just to be sure.....how can I check the voltage with my multimeter...

14. Also a bit confused about cranking it....when u turn the key to the first position...everything lights up...dash...everything....when u turn into the start position...it's just silent....the lights don't disappear off dash or anything...it's just ...silence...

15. Well I put a multimeter on it now...and it registered with and reading of 11.04..while it has been standing

16. Kajtek1

Kajtek1 Awesome Member

told'ya ;)

17. I must have bad luck..new battery in..car started fine...left it for 1 hour...no start again..back to square one.

18. Kajtek1

Kajtek1 Awesome Member

You need to be more precise if you want precise advise.
    Are you talking about 2nd new battery?
    Just because the battery is new, doesn't have to mean it is giving good voltage.
    That's why we have meters to check the issue.

19. Bought the new battery from Mercedes...they had it checked out by their technicians...cos I explained the situation to them...since it started by them...they couldn't pick up any errors on the machine..I also explained to them about the camshaft sensor...all they said was...it could be...it left them cos car had started...came home..waited almost an hour...then tried it again...car doesn't crank

20. Hi I took my Mercedes A Class into the shop for the starter to be replace...the mechanic informed me that it is not displaying anything on cluster about which gear it is in...it is an automatic..and therefore the car will refuse to crank...how would a person be able to rectify this...there were also errors popped up when plugged into computer