2007-2012 (X164) GL 350 Starter location and Removal Instructions

Discussion in 'GL-Class' started by GPGL350, May 22, 2017.

1. GPGL350

GPGL350 New Member

Hello All

My 2010 GL350 stopped or stalled while driving. The car won't start, no crank.

About 4 days ago the car was making a clicking noise that went away when the engine got warm. About 3 days ago the warining message "check oil at next refueling" came up. The oil was low but not below minimum level. On the day that the car stopped (stalled out) it started normally, except for the clicking noise. Now, the engine will not crank.

The battry looks good, never had an issue with it. I believe that it is a failed starter. Does anyone think it might be something else? Does anyone have documentation on the starter location and how to remove/install it?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. laberia

laberia Member

The first thing that I would do is to make sure the engine didn't seize. What you can do is use a 27 mm socket to turn over the engine manually at the crankshaft pulley.

As far as the starter goes it is located on the right side of the engine towards the firewall. You can feed a 12 volt to the starter / solenoid termnial to see if it will engage.

Good luck and make sure to take care of the oil asap.

3. GPGL350

GPGL350 New Member

Thank you for the suggestion. When turning the crankshaft do I need to do something first. Like put the car in neutral or remove the glow plugs?

Thanks

4. laberia

laberia Member

No you don't. It won't be that easy to turn it over. Just make sure to not go back. You should only turn it clockwise.