engine light trouble

Discussion in 'C-Class' started by Audrey, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Audrey

Audrey New Member

Help! Taken car to 2002 Mercedes C 240 to repair 3 times in past 5 months for engine light that comes on while driving and then car de- accelerates slowly and then have to pull over as the engine stops. By time get it towed to repair shop,light is off and no codes come up when it is put through computer. Always happens when it is hot and being driven on freeway, first fast and then stop and go traffic. shop can't make it replicate symptoms even when taking it out for long drives. Anyone ever heard of this?
    Could a defective key have anything to do with it? Now they are saying the key is defective and won't start car.

2. engineer

engineer Member

I don't think it has to do with the key. It may have with something such as the gas pedal sensor. If you have that problem again you should be able to turn off the car and restart it and your problem will be gone. At least temporarily. If it happenes again and you are near a reapir shop take it there so that they can read the fault codes. Don't turn off the car or the codes will be reset again.

3. Audrey

Audrey New Member

Thank you so much, but it has been taken to the repair shop three times and the car has had to be turned off each time to get towed because it not slows so much and then just stops and it is usually on the freeway so very dangerous. So old codes that come up cannot be read? They told me that an old code appeared when they hooked it up to computer this third time, but that was repaired already. They have already replaced the airflow sensor and spark plugs and wires and replaced the right side ignition coil packs. so frustrating......

4. engineer

engineer Member

Do you know what scanner they used? I assume this wasn't a MB dealer or a shop with Star Diagnostic scanner. Star diagnostic scanner should have pulled some stored codes.