code 146100 unknown fault code unknown fault type -1, diesel/StarDiag?

Discussion in 'R-Class' started by phil, Nov 4, 2016.

1. phil

phil New Member

Our 2012 r350 turned on it's check engine light last night.
    Today our Star Diagnostic found this enigmatic code in engine management. (MB# 642900100400, HW very 08.48.00, SW very 10.51.00)
    Car has 80K, is Bluetec diesel.
    Recently purchased.

2. Kajtek1

Kajtek1 Awesome Member

Those don't look like error codes.
    CEL should come with codes readable by any scanner.

3. phil

phil New Member

I know. We cleared that "code" and after 50 miles the light came back. We left it at our shop (www.philscars.com) and will check it out Monday including using more generic tools! We are retiring after starting and running this business 45 years! Though my wife deserved whatever she wanted after driving an incredibly reliable 2001 Volvo V70 T5 240K/15 years.
    So far (2 wks) we did a timing chain and the oil cooler seals. And now, without driving on our former dealer plates, we have to pass inspection which means whatever is going on code wise, it needs to be resolved!
    I am not loving this car just yet.

4. Kajtek1

Kajtek1 Awesome Member

I guess you calculated oil cooler in purchase price?
    I had the same dilemma buying our 2008 Bluetec and only few days after purchase I was able to contact the servicing dealer to get message that oil cooler was replaced. Engine was filthy with oil, so took me 3 washing to find it did not have active oil leaks.
    I love the 320 Bluetec performance and heard you should love 350 even more.
    Had Volvo as family car for 15 years before switched family to driving Mercedes.
    Anyway, I would believe that CEL is triggered by generic code, while you seem to have vehicle/model-specific code.
    Than new technology keep surprising me almost every day.
    350 Bluetec is on my TDL, but read some reports that they seized at low mileage- most likely to improper oil put by servicing dealers, so keep an eye on it.
    Keep us posted?

5. phil

phil New Member

The oil cooler let go during the 40+mi drive from the dealer to our shop.
    They have a service department and agreed to repair it if we paid the tow. Got it back and it smelled like a diesel. The turbo exit seal was cockeyed so we replaced it and the clamp.

The light came back in a few days and now there was a boost control code. My tech fund a blown out seal where 2 of 4 bolts were missing from a hose neck flange. I hope they didn't fuck anything else up! At least they were good enough to warrantee the cooler seals. It's a PITA job. That motor sure is stuffed under the cowl-almost as stupid as the New Beetles. Already I'm missing Ol Reliable, the family trickster (Volvo)