Check Engine Light - Mercedes 3.2

Discussion in 'Gasoline' started by Josh Green, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Josh Green

Josh Green New Member

My check engine light has been on for quite sometime. My car is a 2008 Chrysler Crossfire which is the same as the SLK from what I was told. I was hoping maybe somebody on the forum can give me a few pointers on what to look for. Even though the light is on, the car is running better than new, it has a ton of power and seems to drive normally.

All parts below where replaced. Some more than one time:

• All four oxygen sensors (one was coding - failed - and was replaced a second time)
    • PCM (first replacement - reprogrammed twice, due to car would shake intermittently stopping at the stop light. Then replaced again due to check engine light)
    • both catalytic converters
    • Flow Valve
    I purchased a BlueDriver OBDII scanner, the codes which are posting are:

P2096 - Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System too Lean Bank 1
    P2099 - Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Rich Bank 2

Just recently I had the dealer clean/tighten all the grounds in the car. but, the MIL came on again with the same error code. I attached the blue driver reader and drove for 45mins or so to get a new reading, see attached spreadsheet. I change the font color to red where I saw large fluctuations within the readings.

Late last year I posted this issue on Stack Overflow about this issue which I included some spreadsheets which I downloaded from the OBDII scanner
    https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/38848/2008-chrysler-crossfire-check-engine-light

Any help is very much appreciated!

Thank you,
    Josh

Attached Files:

2. I also have a 2005 Crossfire and am very familiar with these cars. The M122 engine that we have is found in many 1998-2008 Mercedes cars including E,C,ML, CLK class.

One of the most common issues with these cars is a bad mass air flow system. I think your problem is either that or somehow unmeasured / exessive air is making it into the combustion chamber. I hate to tell you to change a part without being 100% sure but in this case I would change the mass air flow sensor. They are cheap and a relatively easy DIY on your car.
    http://www.mercedesmedic.com/how-to-replace-mass-air-flow-maf-sensor-mercedes-benz-v6-v8/

Have you had any major engine work done on your car?